From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:07:16
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 24 December 2006 13:12, Dale wrote:
5 >> OK, so skip /proc, /sys and /dev then? I need to do some reading I
6 >> guess, if it ever gets it downloaded that is. This slow dial-up sucks.
7 >> :-(
10 > For complete partition/disk/OS backups I have used partimage. No doubt it
11 > comes with many recovery LiveCDs, but I have only used it with Knoppix. As
12 > the package name implies it creates image files. You'll need a swap
13 > partition activated though, otherwise you may run out of memory when you are
14 > burning the DVD/CD with your images. Partimage has compression options to
15 > reduce the size of the backed up image file and you can define the size at
16 > which you want to image files split so as to fit on a number of CDs or DVDs.
17 >
18 > If you want to access particular files/directories within the image file I
19 > guess you will need to mount it using loopback, but I haven't tried that yet.
20 >
21 > HTH.
24 Another one to consider. Will look into it too.
25
26 Thanks
27
28 Dale