From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:48:26
1 On Sunday 24 December 2006 13:12, Dale wrote:
4 > OK, so skip /proc, /sys and /dev then? I need to do some reading I
5 > guess, if it ever gets it downloaded that is. This slow dial-up sucks.
6 > :-(
7
8 For complete partition/disk/OS backups I have used partimage. No doubt it
9 comes with many recovery LiveCDs, but I have only used it with Knoppix. As
10 the package name implies it creates image files. You'll need a swap
11 partition activated though, otherwise you may run out of memory when you are
12 burning the DVD/CD with your images. Partimage has compression options to
13 reduce the size of the backed up image file and you can define the size at
14 which you want to image files split so as to fit on a number of CDs or DVDs.
15
16 If you want to access particular files/directories within the image file I
17 guess you will need to mount it using loopback, but I haven't tried that yet.
18
19 HTH.
20 --
21 Regards,