From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Digest verification Failed
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:52:44
1 It seems lately (within the past few months), I am seeing a lot more of
2 these:
3
4 !!! Digest verification Failed:
5 !!! /usr/portage/distfiles/foo-1.2.3.tar.gz
6 !!! Reason: Failed on MD5 verification
7
8 The problem (aside from the obvious) is that portage just shits the bed and
9 doesn't try to re-get the file (which would solve the problem more often
10 than not). Even if I manually "rm /usr/portage/distfiles/foo*" and emerge it
11 again, it's a crap-shoot if it will pass the Digest verification. Sometimes
12 I've tried as many as five or more times this obnoxious cycle and finally
13 said fsck it and just manually emerged the OTHER packages, hoping that in a
14 week or so, there will be a newer version of whatever the offending package
15 was and we can try this all over again with fingers crossed.
16
17 I would use --skipfirst, but that doesn't work with "emerge -Davu world"...
18 *sigh*.
19
20 Anyone know why the digests are failing so frequently? Are they packaged
21 poorly? Is it the mirror I'm getting them from? But then that begs the
22 question, aren't the mirrors synchronized and MD5 verified with each other?
23 Shouldn't TCP/IP be safe in that it retries a packet until it gets it -- and
24 therefore, why is the MD5 different?
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list