From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Digest verification Failed
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:06:17
1 > Anyone know why the digests are failing so frequently? Are they packaged
2 > poorly? Is it the mirror I'm getting them from? But then that begs the
3 > question, aren't the mirrors synchronized and MD5 verified with each
4 > other?
5 > Shouldn't TCP/IP be safe in that it retries a packet until it gets it --
6 > and
7 > therefore, why is the MD5 different?
8
9 I haven't had any issues with md5 sums on recent packages and my systems are
10 updated pretty much daily (thus requiring frequent downloads).
11
12 When it has happened I had to delete the file from /usr/portage/distfiles in
13 order to fetch a clean copy. And since I'm running http-replicator I will
14 also remove any cached copy and recycle http-replicator to ensure it is
15 starting from a clean state. If you're using this or another cache/proxy
16 you'll want to ensure that you clean it out before retrying the fetch.
17
18 I'm not sure how the mirrors are synchronized but I would guess it's rsync
19 based. There should not be any problems there. I don't know if they check
20 the md5 sums on files pulled into the mirror, but I would guess they do not.
21
22 I'd look at your /var/log/emerge.log for errors dealing with the fetch.
23 Also check for filesystem errors if you're using a separate FS for the
24 /usr/portage space; it could be a read/write error associated with the disk
25 itself.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list