From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 10:27:48
1 On 12/30/2016 03:44 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 30 Dec 2016 12:12:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 12/30/2016 12:04 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 12/29/2016 03:21 PM, Mick wrote:
5 >>>> Hi All,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
8 >>>> pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications.
9 >>>
10 >>> I had many similar issues years ago. I solved them by doing the following:
11 >>> [...]
12 >>
13 >> Oh, forgot to mention that I also deleted the ALSA custom configuration
14 >> files:
15 >>
16 >> rm ~/.asoundrc
17 >> rm /etc/asound.conf
18 >>
19 >> It's recommended to not have them, unless you actually need them.
20 >
21 > Thank you Nikos, I followed your advice above but the darn thing is still not
22 > working as it should. The interaction of pa with alsa is anything but aligned
23 > with the way my brain works and with how alsa used to work.
24
25 Another thing I did was put this in the USE flags in make.conf:
26
27 pulseaudio -alsa
28
29 and then do a:
30
31 emerge -auDN --with-bdeps=y @world
32
33 That is, globally disable ALSA and enable PA. This makes sure that
34 programs will use PulseAudio instead of ALSA. This prevents the issue
35 where PA changes your ALSA mixer settings as the same time as an ALSA
36 program tries to do the same, resulting in things getting FUBARed.
37
38 Unfortunately, portage is missing a feature where you can disable one
39 USE flag only if another is available. So it's not possible to disable
40 "alsa" only if the package also has a "pulseaudio" flag. That means if
41 you have packages that only support ALSA, you need to enable the "alsa"
42 USE flag for that package in package.use. This includes
43 media-sound/pulseaudio itself! So package.use needs at least:
44
45 media-sound/pulseaudio alsa
46
47 There's other packages where this is needed. My list in package.use:
48
49 media-sound/audacity alsa
50 media-libs/libcanberra alsa
51 dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin alsa
52 media-sound/audacity alsa
53
54 In general, if a package doesn't support PA and "alsa" is needed to make
55 it support sound output, then it needs an entry in package.use.