From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 13:44:29
1 On Friday 30 Dec 2016 12:12:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/30/2016 12:04 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > On 12/29/2016 03:21 PM, Mick wrote:
4 > >> Hi All,
5 > >>
6 > >> My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
7 > >> pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications.
8 > >
9 > > I had many similar issues years ago. I solved them by doing the following:
10 > > [...]
11 >
12 > Oh, forgot to mention that I also deleted the ALSA custom configuration
13 > files:
14 >
15 > rm ~/.asoundrc
16 > rm /etc/asound.conf
17 >
18 > It's recommended to not have them, unless you actually need them.
19
20 Thank you Nikos, I followed your advice above but the darn thing is still not
21 working as it should. The interaction of pa with alsa is anything but aligned
22 with the way my brain works and with how alsa used to work.
23
24 I've commented out the pa entries to stop it trying to restore settings as you
25 suggested. Alsamixer settings now stick between reboots, except for the first
26 headphone which for some reason is always muted and changing it won't stick
27 for a couple of years now. All looks great .... until I get a desktop pop up
28 warning. Then I notice both Speaker and PCM are pegged at 100% again. :-/
29
30 This also happens if I tweak any of the pa settings using a GUI. Adjusting
31 the application settings using e.g. systemsettings5/hardware/Multimedia/Audio
32 Volume/Applications, immediately resets alsamixer's Speaker and PCM bars both
33 to 100. I am guessing when a warning pops up on the desktop it is also
34 plugging into pa and no matter what Speaker or PCM have been set at, they will
35 be pegged at 100 once more.
38 Regards,
39 Mick