From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 21:12:46
1 On 12/30/2016 07:44 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 30 Dec 2016 12:12:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 12/30/2016 12:04 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 12/29/2016 03:21 PM, Mick wrote:
5 >>>> Hi All,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
8 >>>> pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications.
9 >>> I had many similar issues years ago. I solved them by doing the following:
10 >>> [...]
11 >> Oh, forgot to mention that I also deleted the ALSA custom configuration
12 >> files:
13 >>
14 >> rm ~/.asoundrc
15 >> rm /etc/asound.conf
16 >>
17 >> It's recommended to not have them, unless you actually need them.
18 > Thank you Nikos, I followed your advice above but the darn thing is still not
19 > working as it should. The interaction of pa with alsa is anything but aligned
20 > with the way my brain works and with how alsa used to work.
21 >
22 > I've commented out the pa entries to stop it trying to restore settings as you
23 > suggested. Alsamixer settings now stick between reboots, except for the first
24 > headphone which for some reason is always muted and changing it won't stick
25 > for a couple of years now. All looks great .... until I get a desktop pop up
26 > warning. Then I notice both Speaker and PCM are pegged at 100% again. :-/
27 >
28 > This also happens if I tweak any of the pa settings using a GUI. Adjusting
29 > the application settings using e.g. systemsettings5/hardware/Multimedia/Audio
30 > Volume/Applications, immediately resets alsamixer's Speaker and PCM bars both
31 > to 100. I am guessing when a warning pops up on the desktop it is also
32 > plugging into pa and no matter what Speaker or PCM have been set at, they will
33 > be pegged at 100 once more.
36 You do need to install "media-sound/pavucontrol" and uninstall ( if
37 possible ) whatever desktop GUI based mixer you are currently using ( if
38 .. if .. it is based on the alsamixer and not on PulseAudio ).
39
40 Changing settings in the wrong mixer just doesn't work.