From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 23:19:19
1 On Friday 30 Dec 2016 15:11:29 Corbin Bird wrote:
2 > On 12/30/2016 07:44 AM, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Friday 30 Dec 2016 12:12:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> On 12/30/2016 12:04 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > >>> On 12/29/2016 03:21 PM, Mick wrote:
6 > >>>> Hi All,
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>> My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
9 > >>>> pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> I had many similar issues years ago. I solved them by doing the
12 > >>> following:
13 > >>> [...]
14 > >>
15 > >> Oh, forgot to mention that I also deleted the ALSA custom configuration
16 > >>
17 > >> files:
18 > >> rm ~/.asoundrc
19 > >> rm /etc/asound.conf
20 > >>
21 > >> It's recommended to not have them, unless you actually need them.
22 > >
23 > > Thank you Nikos, I followed your advice above but the darn thing is still
24 > > not working as it should. The interaction of pa with alsa is anything
25 > > but aligned with the way my brain works and with how alsa used to work.
26 > >
27 > > I've commented out the pa entries to stop it trying to restore settings as
28 > > you suggested. Alsamixer settings now stick between reboots, except for
29 > > the first headphone which for some reason is always muted and changing it
30 > > won't stick for a couple of years now. All looks great .... until I get
31 > > a desktop pop up warning. Then I notice both Speaker and PCM are pegged
32 > > at 100% again. :-/
33 > >
34 > > This also happens if I tweak any of the pa settings using a GUI.
35 > > Adjusting
36 > > the application settings using e.g.
37 > > systemsettings5/hardware/Multimedia/Audio Volume/Applications,
38 > > immediately resets alsamixer's Speaker and PCM bars both to 100. I am
39 > > guessing when a warning pops up on the desktop it is also plugging into
40 > > pa and no matter what Speaker or PCM have been set at, they will be
41 > > pegged at 100 once more.
42 >
43 > You do need to install "media-sound/pavucontrol" and uninstall ( if
44 > possible ) whatever desktop GUI based mixer you are currently using ( if
45 > .. if .. it is based on the alsamixer and not on PulseAudio ).
46 >
47 > Changing settings in the wrong mixer just doesn't work.
48
49 Thanks Corbin, I did install pavucontrol but did not persevere with it. When
50 I first started it up it muted the master volume control, which I had to unmute
51 to get my sound back. I'll try reinstalling it tomorrow and test it more
52 thoroughly.
53
54 The audio mixer I used is based on pa anyway.
57 Regards,
58 Mick