From: "Francesco R." <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL 5.0 unmasked, but what does the upgrade entail?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:13:08
1 Alle 12:44, venerdì 21 ottobre 2005, Dave Nebinger ha scritto:
2 > The devs have finally un-hard-masked MySQL (still soft masked by ~x86
3 > keyword). But, in their wisdom, they block the 4.1 to 5.0 unless you
4 > define MYSQL_STRAIGHT_UPGRADE=1 before starting the emerge.
5
6 This because there are issues, with a stright upgrade. Take a look at
7 these upstream docs.
8
9 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-grant-tables.html
10 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html
11 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/news-5-0-x.html
12 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-fix-privilege-tables.html
13
14 The procedure to upgrade should be very similar to the one described by
15 our docs for 4.0 -> 4.1
16 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrading.xml
19 > I originally allowed ~x86 because I wanted the 4.1 version of the db,
20 > and everything has been working fine on my end. But now it's time to
21 > consider whether or not to keep the ~x86 keyword and move to the 5.0
22 > branch or remove it to stay at 4.1.
23
24 Depend on how much time and effort you want to destiny to this, at the
25 moment will not very much supported and the efforts are still 97% on
26 4.1 series that we have stabilized from few days.
27
28 Timings ? An upstream developer in his blog mentioned that MySQL will be
29 considered "Generally Avaiable" that mean "stable" on november.
30 Minimum for stable in Gentoo tree is one month, but I don't think it
31 will be so soon (2 or 3 months is more doable).
34 > Has anyone out there done the 4 to 5 upgrade? What will I need to do
35 > post-install to migrate my databases?
36
37 Rebuild all the packages that use libmysql and reload the data.
40 > Also I hestitate to ask if I should do the upgrade; I know folks will
41 > say that it is still soft masked and that's a reason not to do it,
42 > but that kind of response I can do without. A reason outside of the
43 > soft-mask that says why I should not upgrade would be a lot more
44 > valuable.
45
46 It's doable, it's unsupported, upgrading a database is rarely a easy
47 joke, only a full reading of the previous links could give you an
48 answer.
51 > A google search did not turn up anything gentoo specific about the
52 > upgrade, but I'm still looking for general 4 to 5 upgrading
53 > procedures (hmm, maybe I'll even get to submit a wiki article or
54 > something ;-)
57 Because nothing exist yet ;-) .
58 Feel free to write all you think worth to be shared.
59
60 > Thanks in advance!
61 >
62 > Dave