From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MySQL 5.0 unmasked, but what does the upgrade entail?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:50:50
1 The devs have finally un-hard-masked MySQL (still soft masked by ~x86
2 keyword). But, in their wisdom, they block the 4.1 to 5.0 unless you define
3 MYSQL_STRAIGHT_UPGRADE=1 before starting the emerge.
4
5 I originally allowed ~x86 because I wanted the 4.1 version of the db, and
6 everything has been working fine on my end. But now it's time to consider
7 whether or not to keep the ~x86 keyword and move to the 5.0 branch or remove
8 it to stay at 4.1.
9
10 Has anyone out there done the 4 to 5 upgrade? What will I need to do
11 post-install to migrate my databases?
12
13 Also I hestitate to ask if I should do the upgrade; I know folks will say that
14 it is still soft masked and that's a reason not to do it, but that kind of
15 response I can do without. A reason outside of the soft-mask that says why I
16 should not upgrade would be a lot more valuable.
17
18 A google search did not turn up anything gentoo specific about the upgrade,
19 but I'm still looking for general 4 to 5 upgrading procedures (hmm, maybe
20 I'll even get to submit a wiki article or something ;-)
21
22 Thanks in advance!
23
24 Dave