From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL 5.0 unmasked, but what does the upgrade entail?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:52:22
1 On 10/21/05, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com> wrote:
2 > The devs have finally un-hard-masked MySQL (still soft masked by ~x86
3 > keyword). But, in their wisdom, they block the 4.1 to 5.0 unless you define
4 > MYSQL_STRAIGHT_UPGRADE=1 before starting the emerge.
5 >
6 > I originally allowed ~x86 because I wanted the 4.1 version of the db, and
7 > everything has been working fine on my end. But now it's time to consider
8 > whether or not to keep the ~x86 keyword and move to the 5.0 branch or remove
9 > it to stay at 4.1.
10 >
11 > Has anyone out there done the 4 to 5 upgrade? What will I need to do
12 > post-install to migrate my databases?
13 >
14 > Also I hestitate to ask if I should do the upgrade; I know folks will say that
15 > it is still soft masked and that's a reason not to do it, but that kind of
16 > response I can do without. A reason outside of the soft-mask that says why I
17 > should not upgrade would be a lot more valuable.
18
19 Well, a good reason not to upgrade to 5 is that 5 is, and I quote the
20 MySQL Website, "Development release (use this for previewing and
21 testing new features)" while the 4.1 is still the stable and
22 recommended version.
23
24 > A google search did not turn up anything gentoo specific about the upgrade,
25 > but I'm still looking for general 4 to 5 upgrading procedures (hmm, maybe
26 > I'll even get to submit a wiki article or something ;-)
27
28 The Manual for version 5 (from MySQL site) describes the procedures to
29 upgrade better than the ebuild info (IMHO), but it hasn't changed a
30 lot for all versions, backup everything, upgrade, test, if something
31 goes wrong, get it all back from backup, sql files would do better
32 than the data files in this case. Again, I quote the Online Manual at
33 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html :
34
35 "Note: Currently, MySQL 5.0 is at Beta status and, as for any other
36 pre-production release, should not be installed on production-level
37 systems or systems with critical data. It is good practice to back up
38 your data before installing any new version of software. Although
39 MySQL has done its best to ensure a high level of quality, you should
40 protect your data by making a backup as you would for any software
41 beta release."
42
43 The rest of the document describes all steps and procedures for a safe
44 upgrade, but keeping in mind that its a TEST version. I'll stick with
45 4.1 in my server...
48 Daniel da Veiga
49 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list