From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:30:08
1 On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:30:21PM +1100, Adam Carter wrote
2
3 > Playing video is one of few situations in which optimisation makes a
4 > lot of difference though, thanks to the mmx/sse stuff, which is post
5 > i686. So a video benchmark will should show that up, but the boost may
6 > be lost in a more general suite of weighted benchmarks.
7
8 Today's web is heavily multimedia. There are some text-oriented
9 websites where w3m or links is sufficient, but they're few and far
10 between. And as I mentioned earlier, the appropriate comparison is
11 between a fully optimised system versus a fully default system, dual
12 booting on the same machine to eliminate hardware biases. Linux
13 works with libraries. Firefox calls a lotlibraries, which call other
14 libraries and the kernel, too. That's why it has be the entire system
15 being optimized.
16
17 > Also, different versions of gcc optimise differently. Usually the
18 > optimisation gets better but there a quite a few cases where
19 > performance regresses.
20
21 ??? Can you name any cases where "-march=native" is worse than than
22 the default i686 build? And please do an apples-to-apples comparison.
23 I.e. pgo bin versus pgo build from source.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>