From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:31:42
1 On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 03:13:07AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote
3 >
4 >> The speed gains of building for specific submodels of CPUs might
5 >> be there, but they're minimal.  Benchmarks have shown (can't find
6 >> the article, it was on Phoronix) that after -march=i686 you get
7 >> diminishing returns.
8 >
9 >  In that case, the benchmarks are useless.  From my personal
10 > experience...  a fresh i686 install on a 4 and 1/2 year old Dell with
11 > onboard Intel GPU was not able to keep up with the slowest available
12 > speed on NHL Gamecenter Live.  Ditto for 1080i TV from my HDHomerun
13 > tuner box.  After rebuilding system+world+kernel with "march=native",
14 > it works just fine for the above tasks.
15
16 Playing video is one of few situations in which optimisation makes a
17 lot of difference though, thanks to the mmx/sse stuff, which is post
18 i686. So a video benchmark will should show that up, but the boost may
19 be lost in a more general suite of weighted benchmarks.
20
21 Also, different versions of gcc optimise differently. Usually the
22 optimisation gets better but there a quite a few cases where
23 performance regresses.