From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 06:26:32
1 On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 03:13:07AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote
2
3 > The speed gains of building for specific submodels of CPUs might
4 > be there, but they're minimal. Benchmarks have shown (can't find
5 > the article, it was on Phoronix) that after -march=i686 you get
6 > diminishing returns.
7
8 In that case, the benchmarks are useless. From my personal
9 experience... a fresh i686 install on a 4 and 1/2 year old Dell with
10 onboard Intel GPU was not able to keep up with the slowest available
11 speed on NHL Gamecenter Live. Ditto for 1080i TV from my HDHomerun
12 tuner box. After rebuilding system+world+kernel with "march=native",
13 it works just fine for the above tasks. I'm not the only one to see
14 this. See thread...
15 "Slow not in sync movie playing with mplayer2, ffmpeg, x264 with intel core i5"
16 starting Sun, 12 Feb 2012 on this list.
17
18 As I mentioned in that thread
19 > Optimizing one library may seem very minor, but it all adds up when
20 > you optimize every library on your system.
21
22 To get the full benefit of optimization, you need to optimize your
23 entire system. The i686 code used for the install CD has to be generic
24 lowest-common-denominator i686 code, in order to run on every 6-year-old
25 i686 cpu out there. The tradeoff is that you lose the benefits of
26 optimisation.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>