From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:45:10
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 03:13:07AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote
3 >
4 >> The speed gains of building for specific submodels of CPUs might
5 >> be there, but they're minimal. Benchmarks have shown (can't find
6 >> the article, it was on Phoronix) that after -march=i686 you get
7 >> diminishing returns.
8 >
9 > In that case, the benchmarks are useless. From my personal
10 > experience... a fresh i686 install on a 4 and 1/2 year old Dell with
11 > onboard Intel GPU was not able to keep up with the slowest available
12 > speed on NHL Gamecenter Live. Ditto for 1080i TV from my HDHomerun
13 > tuner box. After rebuilding system+world+kernel with "march=native",
14 > it works just fine for the above tasks. I'm not the only one to see
15 > this. See thread...
16 > "Slow not in sync movie playing with mplayer2, ffmpeg, x264 with intel core i5"
17 > starting Sun, 12 Feb 2012 on this list.
18 >
19 > As I mentioned in that thread
20 >> Optimizing one library may seem very minor, but it all adds up when
21 >> you optimize every library on your system.
22 >
23 > To get the full benefit of optimization, you need to optimize your
24 > entire system. The i686 code used for the install CD has to be generic
25 > lowest-common-denominator i686 code, in order to run on every 6-year-old
26 > i686 cpu out there. The tradeoff is that you lose the benefits of
27 > optimisation.
31 It's odd that I was thinking about your video problem when I posted my
32 reply earlier.
33
34 If using those makes no difference, why even have the option?
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
42 how you interpreted my words!
43
44 Miss the compile output? Hint:
45 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"