From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Homebuilt Mobo bundles
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 03:29:01
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > One caution there -- newer computer hardware demands a great deal of
4 > power, and older power supplies may not be up to the task. Don't try
5 > to squeak by with a wimpy power supply.
8 >> I thought maybe a mobo bundle would be a good starting place...
9 >
10 > I've been building my own for years. and the choice of motherboard
11 > has always been easy: I buy the mobo and CPU on sale that day at
12 > Fry's ;o) (Do you know Fry's?) But I buy the best RAM available
13 > because it's worth the few extra bucks.
14
15 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
16
17 [...]
18
19 > that bundle looks ok, but you will need a new psu.
20 > And with ok I mean the hardware, not the price.
21
22 I kind of overpowered the original setup back when I bought it,
23 somewhere like 200[12]. It's an antec 430 w. But that is probably
24 wimpy by now. Back then it was well above the standard stuff, which
25 were more like 230 w.