From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Homebuilt Mobo bundles
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:40:54
1 On 11/05/2009 12:59 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I guess that could be seen as a kind of spam. I hope not.
3 >
4 > Further, so far as googling this kind of help or info. There is so
5 > damn much out there.. its too hard to tell what is good or even real.
6 >
7 > So here it is:
8 >
9 > I have a recently dead Intel P4 winxp box, I've got it completely
10 > stipped dowm, mobo out etc. Its a mid tower antex box.. nice size and
11 > fairly easy to work inside of.
12
13 One caution there -- newer computer hardware demands a great deal of
14 power, and older power supplies may not be up to the task. Don't try
15 to squeak by with a wimpy power supply.
18 > I thought maybe a mobo bundle would be a good starting place...
19
20 I've been building my own for years. and the choice of motherboard
21 has always been easy: I buy the mobo and CPU on sale that day at
22 Fry's ;o) (Do you know Fry's?) But I buy the best RAM available
23 because it's worth the few extra bucks.
24
25 The latest and greatest new hardware may not be supported by any
26 open source OS, so you may not want the latest hot mobo. I'd say
27 avoid any mobo less that a year or so old. (The ones on sale at
28 Fry's meet than criterion perfectly, as you'd expect.)
29
30 I'm sure more advice will be forthcoming :o)