From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 02:35:33
1 On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 04:33:12PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
2 > On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I don't see the part where all these latest fancy container thingymagicies
5 > > are not really just "embed everything in everything"
6 > >
7 > > We've known for years the dangers of embedding stuff in packages (it hardly
8 > > ever gets updated properly)
11 > Well, that strikes me as being true of these self-contained packages,
12 > but it isn't necessarily true of containers in general.
13 >
14 > I run most of my services in containers, and they're just Gentoo
15 > installations with a really small world file. Things are just as
16 > up-to-date as they would be if I ran it all in a single host.
17 >
18 > Now, if you're the sort of person who just grabs some random docker
19 > image from who knows where, then sure you're getting a big bundle of
20 > stuff that may or may not be maintained for security. This is no
21 > different.
22
23 I don't follow this stuff, so this may be a stupid question... how
24 does a "container" or "docker" differ from a chroot or a QEMU VM with a
25 minimal set of applications?
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications