From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:33:24
1 On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't see the part where all these latest fancy container thingymagicies
4 > are not really just "embed everything in everything"
5 >
6 > We've known for years the dangers of embedding stuff in packages (it hardly
7 > ever gets updated properly)
10 Well, that strikes me as being true of these self-contained packages,
11 but it isn't necessarily true of containers in general.
12
13 I run most of my services in containers, and they're just Gentoo
14 installations with a really small world file. Things are just as
15 up-to-date as they would be if I ran it all in a single host.
16
17 Now, if you're the sort of person who just grabs some random docker
18 image from who knows where, then sure you're getting a big bundle of
19 stuff that may or may not be maintained for security. This is no
20 different.
21
22 I'm sure there will be people who provide these all-in-one packages
23 and carefully update them for upstream security flaws. And there will
24 be a lot more providers who don't.
25
26 Chromium is a good example of this. Gentoo tries to unbundle as much
27 as it can, but if you just do a make install on it you end up with a
28 bazillion bundled libraries. Google does a very good job of keeping
29 them all up to date, but they're not a typical case.
30
31 FWIW - the subject of this thread suggests that this is some kind of
32 "official" Gentoo thing. As far as I can tell somebody took it upon
33 themselves to make this available for Gentoo, but it is not in any way
34 endorsed by the distro. Of course, if somebody wanted to package it
35 up and maintain it we probably wouldn't have any issues with having
36 the package manager in the repository. After all have other binary
37 distro package managers in there. That doesn't mean that Gentoo is
38 doing anything to ensure that whatever random repository you point it
39 at is up to date, any more than if you emerge debootstrap.
40
41 Oh, and while I generally agree with everything in the linked
42 Maintainers Matter blog post, I'd hardly call it a security audit. It
43 just points out in general terms the sorts of problems that this kind
44 of approach can lead to.
47 Rich