From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended way to shut down akonadi
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:42:19
1 On Saturday, June 18, 2016 05:45:31 PM Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 14 Jun 2016 07:03:25 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Friday, June 10, 2016 10:32:25 PM Mick wrote:
4 > > > On Friday 10 Jun 2016 19:54:44 J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > > > > Kde and I would assume Gnome as well have a method of running a script
6 > > > > when
7 > > > > starting and stopping a login session.
8 > > > >
9 > > > > This is usually used for ssh-agent and pgp-agent.
10 > > >
11 > > > Yes, KDE uses /etc/plasma/shutdown/10-agent-shutdown.sh and I guess
12 > > > gnome
13 > > > would have its equivalent, but I think this is only for any daemonised
14 > > > services running on the desktop.
15 > > >
16 > > > I suspect that:
17 > > >
18 > > > /usr/bin/kdeinit4_shutdown
19 > > > /usr/bin/kdeinit5_shutdown
20 > > >
21 > > > are used to shutdown gracefully any KDE apps.
22 > > >
23 > > > > You could try looking for something similar with the desktop/window
24 > > > > manager
25 > > > > of your choice.
26 > > >
27 > > > I tried the above shutdown commands but they didn't work. Unfortunately
28 > > > enlightenment does not have anything available to stop desktop
29 > > > applications
30 > > > at shutdown. The dev's advice was to use .xinitrc or equivalent.
31 > > >
32 > > > > I think .xsession is run only during start and will not 'pause' during
33 > > > > the
34 > > > > session.
35 > > >
36 > > > Well my confusion is that my .xsession *was* working fine until a couple
37 > > > of
38 > > > weeks ago ... and all still works as expected when I run akonadictl stop
39 > > > in
40 > > > a terminal before I shut down. I don't know why the same command
41 > > > behaves
42 > > > differently in .xsession now. :-/
43 > > >
44 > > > PS. When I just log out there is no delay. The problem only arises when
45 > > > I
46 > > > shutdown. I wonder if this is something to do with this darn sddm
47 > > > display
48 > > > manager ...
49 > >
50 > > There is a 90 second delay with PostgreSQL if there are still clients
51 > > connected to the database.
52 > > This should also be displayed on the screen if you see the shutdown-text.
53 >
54 > Yes, postgresql waits 90 seconds until all these akonadi attempts to
55 > reconnect its agents finish, then X exits, postgresql shutsdown and then
56 > system shuts down as expected.
57 >
58 > > I don't see how sddm can cause an extra delay.
59 >
60 > I can't either, but I am clutching at straws here.
61 >
62 > > You could add the commands to:
63 > > /etc/local.d/killakonadi.stop
64 > >
65 > > (These are run as root, so you might need to do something like:
66 > > /bin/su -s /bin/sh -c " <command> " <username>
67 > > instead of the commands you have been putting in the scripts.
68 >
69 > Thank you this did not work. I didn't know that /etc/local.d/ scripts run
70 > at shutdown, but in any case even if they do I suspect they don't run until
71 > X exits first.
72
73 add the following to /etc/rc.conf:
74
75 rc_local_need="postgresql-9.5"
76 (or whichever version you are currently using)
77
78 That will force "local" to be stopped before "xdm"
79
80 but as far as I am aware, the "local" service is normally started last and
81 stopped first.
82 As long as it's stopped before postgresql, you should be fine.
83
84 > > I think the local-service is stopped before postgresql is stopped, so this
85 > > might prevent the delay you are seeing?
86 > >
87 > > --
88 > > Joost
89 >
90 > I usually have a terminal open (more often than I have kmail) so I will need
91 > to remember to run 'akonadictl stop' in the terminal before I shutdown the
92 > machine. It's not ideal, but unless something can stop effectively akonadi
93 > I can't exit X.
96 Joost