From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 20:35:47
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 23:35:03 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:
3 >
4 >> I can second the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I run it with Openwrt rather
5 >> than ddwrt and I find it runs flawlessly, though I only run it with a
6 >> few wireless laptops and a wired server.
7 >
8 > What are the advantages of Openwrt? I have one of these but have never
9 > bothered with anything but the stock dd-wrt.
10
11 It's like the Gentoo of router distros, you can pretty easily roll
12 your own firmware image with whatever kernel options, packages and
13 features you want included. You can install a web-based management
14 console similar to the one DD-WRT has, or you could manage it entirely
15 through SSH if you want to save space for other things. I think DD-WRT
16 is actually based on OpenWrt, or is in the process of becoming so.
17 That is not to say that DD-WRT does not contain original work, as it
18 certainly does, and they are contracted to write firmware for some new
19 devices that might not generically be supported by OpenWrt yet.
20
21 I also have WZR-HP-G300NH and wifi suffered constant disconnects and
22 poor performance. The latest OpenWrt updates have gotten better from
23 the driver standpoint, and what really helped link quality was
24 dramatically /reducing/ the antenna power. I still get dropped wifi
25 connection on all of my devices every time someone uses the microwave
26 oven... (my old and slow router did not suffer from that problem).
27
28 If I had the chance to do it over, I'd get WZR-HP-AG300H instead,
29 since it has 5GHz support.