From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Theoretical] Copy make.conf or Create New Profile
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:17:33
1 On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> You could even set up a mini- trimmed-down sync server. Put your master
5 > >> copies of stuff there, take steps so that portage doesn't nuke things,
6 > >> and set up a cron to sync once a day. Tell your machines to get their
7 > >> portage tree from this server, not gentoo.org somewhere and let rip.
8 > >> Also put a proxy on that sync server of yours so distfile downloads only
9 > >> happen once. There's many ways to do this - squid is obvious but I
10 > >> believe portage can do something similar (which I have not used myself)
11 > >
12 > > you can even put the compiling on one server and let the others download
13 > > and install the packets. AFAIR BINHOST is the thing to google for.
14 >
15 > Oh yeah, the first server would be an rsync mirror, and the distfiles
16 > proxy, I've done both before, and both are easy enough.
17 >
18 > I hadn't considered the pkg thing, but it should be easy enough to set
19 > the buildpkg and usepkg features in the new profile, and nfs mount the
20 > packages directory.....
21 >
22 > The main thing I'm considering at the moment though is keeping the
23 > configuration consistant accross different servers, which the profile
24 > seems best set to solve...
25
26 if you are using nfs you could also put a 'central' make.conf there and have
27 the servers symlink to it. This way you only have to edit it once.