From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mic works, but doesn't work...
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 19:58:43
1 On Saturday 21 Apr 2012 20:00:00 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > On 21/04/12 21:13, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > >> Hi,
6 > >> Ah, for a peaceful Saturday, but I guess not this one... I'm just
7 > >> starting to investigate this but maybe someone's worked on this sort
8 > >> of thing recently?
9 > >
10 > > Make sure the mic is selected as the "capture" source:
11 > >
12 > > * Run alsamixer in a terminal.
13 > > * Press F6 and select your sound card.
14 > > * Press F4 to get to the capture settings.
15 > > * From the available inputs, select "Mic" (left/right arrow keys) and
16 > > press space to select it as the capture source. Raise the capture volume
17 > > to maximum (up arrow key.)
18 > > * Esc.
19 > >
20 > > All of this can also be done in KMix if you're on KDE.
21 >
22 > Hi Nikos,
23 > Right, all done both in KMix as well as alsamixer. No change yet.
24 > Capture was already selected and volume up. I tried with Capture1 and
25 > Capture2. No change.
26 >
27 > I tried dropping back to my earlier 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 kernel but that
28 > also didn't work. However for some reason it also had a problem with
29 > the nvidia driver and to get X I had to do a modules-rebuild -X
30 > rebuild so I'm no longer sure what state that's in WRT also. Anyway,
31 > 3.2.1 boots, KDE logs in but no microphone audio. That kernel was
32 > built on 3/17 so I'm 200% certain the mix worked on that kernel 2
33 > weeks ago.
34 >
35 > What's strange about this (to me) is that when I'm in the Skype
36 > Test Call app (darn I like that English girl in that. Where is she
37 > from?) :-) I can tap on the mic and hear the thumps in my headphones
38 > so I know the mix works. However I'm not sure if possibly the sound
39 > card isn't mixing that directly into the audio output and maybe Alsa
40 > is never hearing the mic.
41 >
42 > Stumped. Going to try the old delete asound.state thing next...
43 >
44 > Cheers,
45 > Mark
46
47 I seem to recall activating/unmuting 'digital' capture in alsamix for my plug
48 in mic to work.
49 --
50 Regards,
51 Mick