From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mic works, but doesn't work...
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 19:03:04
1 On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 21/04/12 21:13, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>    Ah, for a peaceful Saturday, but I guess not this one...  I'm just
6 >> starting to investigate this but maybe someone's worked on this sort
7 >> of thing recently?
10 > Make sure the mic is selected as the "capture" source:
11 >
12 > * Run alsamixer in a terminal.
13 > * Press F6 and select your sound card.
14 > * Press F4 to get to the capture settings.
15 > * From the available inputs, select "Mic" (left/right arrow keys) and press
16 > space to select it as the capture source. Raise the capture volume to
17 > maximum (up arrow key.)
18 > * Esc.
19 >
20 > All of this can also be done in KMix if you're on KDE.
24 Hi Nikos,
25 Right, all done both in KMix as well as alsamixer. No change yet.
26 Capture was already selected and volume up. I tried with Capture1 and
27 Capture2. No change.
28
29 I tried dropping back to my earlier 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 kernel but that
30 also didn't work. However for some reason it also had a problem with
31 the nvidia driver and to get X I had to do a modules-rebuild -X
32 rebuild so I'm no longer sure what state that's in WRT also. Anyway,
33 3.2.1 boots, KDE logs in but no microphone audio. That kernel was
34 built on 3/17 so I'm 200% certain the mix worked on that kernel 2
35 weeks ago.
36
37 What's strange about this (to me) is that when I'm in the Skype
38 Test Call app (darn I like that English girl in that. Where is she
39 from?) :-) I can tap on the mic and hear the thumps in my headphones
40 so I know the mix works. However I'm not sure if possibly the sound
41 card isn't mixing that directly into the audio output and maybe Alsa
42 is never hearing the mic.
43
44 Stumped. Going to try the old delete asound.state thing next...
45
46 Cheers,
47 Mark