From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:27:03
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > Never used OpenSuse, but I've spent about ten years bouncing between
3 > Ubuntu and Debian. (I started using Ubuntu around either 5.04 or 6.06.
4 > Not sure.) While Ubuntu is usually among the first of the binary
5 > distros to support new things, it's been suffering more and more (and
6 > more!) decay when you wander off the beaten path. Over the last couple
7 > years, it's tended toward beating its own path, so knowledge and
8 > skills are becoming less portable if you're bouncing between Ubuntu
9 > and other distros, or even between Ubuntu and Debian. It's nice if you
10 > want something up and running fast, it's friendly to newbies, and it's
11 > friendly to some kinds of administrators, but it's *not* friendly to
12 > power users.
13
14 I think this will suite my brother tho. They check email, weather and
15 the news and my sis-n-law plays games on facebook. They both play card
16 games which Linux has quite a few of. So, this is really what they
17 need. Of course, if I find something better, I can backup the /home
18 directory and install something else then restore the /home and carry on
19 with something new.
20
21 This is the beauty of Linux.
22
23 If I copy the WHOLE .mozilla directory from winders to Linux, won't that
24 keep all their settings, passwords, bookmarks and email? I have done
25 that on Linux a couple times with little problems. I'm just not sure
26 about winders to Linux.
27
28 Thanks. Ya'll gave me some good ideas for both now and in the future if
29 I need to try something else.
30
31 Dale
32