From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:16:16
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 11 Nov 2011 07:37:56 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Thu, November 10, 2011 8:03 pm, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >> <SNIPPED>
6 >>
7 >> > Any tips or tricks on Kubuntu anyone?  Sort of a basic 'this is how you
8 >> > update/install something for idiots' type thing.  lol
9 >>
10 >> I think Sabayon would be a better option, but if you really want to go
11 >> with *buntu/debian:
12 >>
13 >> - Install <X>
14 >> # sudo apt-get install <X>
15 >>
16 >> - Update repository:
17 >> # sudo apt-get update
18 >>
19 >> - Upgrade system:
20 >> # sudo apt-get upgrade
21 >>
22 >> For "major" upgrades, you need to change to a different repository or
23 >> something like that.
24 >> I installed Gentoo on my netbook as I got really annoyed with the dodgy
25 >> way ubuntu deals with this.
26 >
27 > Not to forget:
28 >
29 > sudo apt-get autoclean
30 >
31 > and yes, you'll need to get to grips with the various repos to install
32 > packages outside the vanilla version of any distro.
33 >
34 > I've installed Kubuntu on a laptop and a load of extra packages for web
35 > development.  Have not heard any complaints for at least a year now.  ;-)
36 >
37 > A point to note:  Last time I used OpenSuse (must be 4 years ago or more) it
38 > did not seem to be as flexible as ?Ubuntu.  There were all sort of dependency
39 > problems if you veered off the beaten track.  Also back then there was no way
40 > to upgrade to the later version.  It was a matter of reinstalling and
41 > reconfiguring.  Things may have moved on since.
42
43 Never used OpenSuse, but I've spent about ten years bouncing between
44 Ubuntu and Debian. (I started using Ubuntu around either 5.04 or 6.06.
45 Not sure.)
46
47 While Ubuntu is usually among the first of the binary distros to
48 support new things, it's been suffering more and more (and more!)
49 decay when you wander off the beaten path. Over the last couple years,
50 it's tended toward beating its own path, so knowledge and skills are
51 becoming less portable if you're bouncing between Ubuntu and other
52 distros, or even between Ubuntu and Debian.
53
54 It's nice if you want something up and running fast, it's friendly to
55 newbies, and it's friendly to some kinds of administrators, but it's
56 *not* friendly to power users.
59 :wq