From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with openrc-0.18.4 and ifplugd
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:55:15
1 Am Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:37:38 +0000
2 schrieb Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On Monday 21 Dec 2015 21:43:00 Kai Krakow wrote:
5 > > Am Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:25:34 -0500
6 > >
7 > > schrieb waltdnes@××××××××.org:
8 > > > On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 02:06:25PM +0000, James wrote
9 > > >
10 > > > > From what I read/understand openrc is in the process of removal
11 > > > > from @system, for all profiles?
12 > > > >
13 > > > In Lennart's dreams... and many peoples' nightmares.
14 > >
15 > > Haters gonna hate...
16 > >
17 > > If I look at the virtual/service-manager ebuild, openrc probably in
18 > > the process of being removed from the system set and replaced by
19 > > this virtual. In that way you can more easily replace openrc with a
20 > > service manager of your choice.
21 > >
22 > > The upgrade path will be straight forward: It doesn't affect your
23 > > openrc installation at all because through the service-manager deps
24 > > openrc is still pulled into the system set - simply by the fact
25 > > that it is installed.
26 >
27 > Nevertheless, virtual options to make it easier to use alternatives
28 > to the current stable version of openrc are not my problem at this
29 > stage. I can't get ifplugd to work, unless I start up net.<iface>
30 > first and I am getting no /var/log/rc.log to see what's gone
31 > sideways. Regardless of these problems I am getting warnings on the
32 > console during boot time as posted initially.
33
34 Apparently I cannot help here because I removed openrc from my system
35 months ago (even install masking /etc/init.d) but I still maintain
36 systems which run openrc (and, *cough* baselayout-1, you didn't read
37 that, did you?). Upgrade paths there almost always involved following
38 "eselect news read new", the hardest ones involved network and device
39 management services. It's kind of a challenge to do this on a headless,
40 remote system without needing to physically access the machine. [1]
41
42 > Am I alone in experiencing this? Any ideas for fixing it? Should I
43 > post a bug and if so where? I'm thinking that asking Lennart to fix
44 > ifplugd so that it works with openrc would be taking it a step too
45 > far. :p
46
47 Hehe... Hey, this is surprisingly amusing. May I quote that? :-D
48 Thanks for the smirk.
51 [1]: Ah well, I cheated a bit: It's virtualized so I had another
52 channel of console access. ;-)
55 Regards,
56 Kai
57