From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:10:34
1 On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 2/5/2009 7:01 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > no. He is an idiot if he does not read the docs. Simple. Like people who
4 > > don't read the manual to their car or vcr and then complaining if
5 > > something does not work. Idiots.
6 >
7 > "They should read the manual" is *not* a valid design goal for a system.
8 > At best, it's a justification or rationalization when outside
9 > constraints force a design to be non-intuitive.
10 >
11 > Given the choice between two otherwise equally functional systems (of
12 > any sort -- electronic, mechanical, digital, etc); if one requires me to
13 > spend extensive time reading an instruction manual to use and the other
14 > is designed to be easy to use out of the box -- the "idiot" is the
15 > person wasting their time reading instead of being productive.
16
17 and not one single complex system is 'idiotproof'.
18
19 > To use
20 > your own example, I have no problem figuring out how to start my car,
21 > turn on the A/C, tune my radio, and drive to work without reading the
22 > automobile manual.
23
24 but before you were even allowed to drive a car you had to take lessons and
25 pass a test.
28 > If Gentoo's installer *has* to be difficult because it's the only way to
29 > supply additional benefits or features, that's a perfectly reasonable
30 > argument. If Gentoo's installer is *stuck* being difficult because
31 > there is a lack of resources interested in making it better, that's an
32 > upsetting, but equally reasonable argument.
33 >
34 > If Gentoo's installer is difficult *on purpose* just to make Gentoo hard
35 > to use, that's ridiculous.
36
37 gentoo's installer is EASY if you just read the docs.