From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:00:24
1 On 2/5/2009 7:01 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > no. He is an idiot if he does not read the docs. Simple. Like people who don't
4 > read the manual to their car or vcr and then complaining if something does not
5 > work. Idiots.
6
7 "They should read the manual" is *not* a valid design goal for a system.
8 At best, it's a justification or rationalization when outside
9 constraints force a design to be non-intuitive.
10
11 Given the choice between two otherwise equally functional systems (of
12 any sort -- electronic, mechanical, digital, etc); if one requires me to
13 spend extensive time reading an instruction manual to use and the other
14 is designed to be easy to use out of the box -- the "idiot" is the
15 person wasting their time reading instead of being productive. To use
16 your own example, I have no problem figuring out how to start my car,
17 turn on the A/C, tune my radio, and drive to work without reading the
18 automobile manual.
19
20 If Gentoo's installer *has* to be difficult because it's the only way to
21 supply additional benefits or features, that's a perfectly reasonable
22 argument. If Gentoo's installer is *stuck* being difficult because
23 there is a lack of resources interested in making it better, that's an
24 upsetting, but equally reasonable argument.
25
26 If Gentoo's installer is difficult *on purpose* just to make Gentoo hard
27 to use, that's ridiculous.
28
29 --K