From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About the change from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:27:55
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> writes:
5 >> Harry Putnam wrote:
8 >>> For now, with hal, with dbus, assuming no xorg.conf... where are
9 >>> custom settings regarding the X session done?
10 >>>
11 >> Under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/... or you could continue to use the old
12 >> xorg.conf since that will override what's in ...xorg.conf.d/
15 > OK, let me try this once more:
16 >
17 > Using only the current setup, that is, one with hal and dbus installed
18 > and one that does not use xorg.conf... and apparently does not use
19 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d either... since that directory is not present.
20 >
21 > But yet an X display happens when I type `startx', apparently
22 > generated somewhere automatically.
23 >
24 > What I'm asking is where does one make customizations to that auto
25 > generated process... something is doing it.. some file or something is
26 > involved... but what and where?
30 I think it is hal that does this. You can make up your own rules if you
31 want, and can, to "force" it to do what you want. Thing is, the config
32 file is a mess. It's xml and if you don't know xml, well, it ain't
33 pretty. The rules go into /etc/hal/ somewhere. I don't use hal here so
34 this is just info.
35
36 I'm not going to get started on hal folks. Just trying to point a
37 little. Relax and breathe.
38
39 Dale
40