From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:56:27
1 On Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2007, pat wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:13:56 +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote
3 >
4 > > On Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007, pat wrote:
5 > > > Hi,
6 > > >
7 > > > I have question about ramfs and if it is necessary. I have notebook
8 > > > with SATA drive. I generate kernel with genkernel and it generates
9 > > > initramfs file too. My question is if this is realy necessary and if
10 > > > not, what I have to do. And if it is necessary where I can find good
11 > > > documentation (samples, explanation, etc.).
12 > > >
13 > > > And next question is: hat is difference between ramfs and initrd ??? Is
14 > > > it the same thing or not ... ???
15 > > >
16 > > > Thanks a lot.
17 > > >
18 > > > Pat
19 > >
20 > > you don't need initrd. You don't need initramfs. You don't need to
21 > > use genkernel (IMHO genkernel is evil). And you don't need ramfs.
22 > >
23 > > initrd/initramfs is mostly for distributions who want to compile
24 > > everything as module, people with strange settings (like some kind
25 > > of raid), or people too stupid to build their own kernel. If you
26 > > build your kernel and build everything you need to boot into it, you
27 > > can live without that crap.
28 >
29 > ... so the initramfs is not necessary for the SATA drive when it is not a
30 > module ??? Because I think I need it because of the SATA drive.
33 if you compile sata support into the kernel, you don't need the initramfs
34 stuff.
35 I have a sata drive too. / and /home are on it. And I boot every day from it,
36 without using a initrd or similar stuff.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list