From: pat <pat@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:48:17
1 On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:13:56 +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote
2 > On Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007, pat wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I have question about ramfs and if it is necessary. I have notebook with
6 > > SATA drive. I generate kernel with genkernel and it generates initramfs
7 > > file too. My question is if this is realy necessary and if not, what I have
8 > > to do. And if it is necessary where I can find good documentation (samples,
9 > > explanation, etc.).
10 > >
11 > > And next question is: hat is difference between ramfs and initrd ??? Is it
12 > > the same thing or not ... ???
13 > >
14 > > Thanks a lot.
15 > >
16 > > Pat
17 >
18 > you don't need initrd. You don't need initramfs. You don't need to
19 > use genkernel (IMHO genkernel is evil). And you don't need ramfs.
20 >
21 > initrd/initramfs is mostly for distributions who want to compile
22 > everything as module, people with strange settings (like some kind
23 > of raid), or people too stupid to build their own kernel. If you
24 > build your kernel and build everything you need to boot into it, you
25 > can live without that crap.
28 ... so the initramfs is not necessary for the SATA drive when it is not a
29 module ??? Because I think I need it because of the SATA drive.
30
31 Thanks
32
33 Pat