From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:22:48
1 On Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007, pat wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have question about ramfs and if it is necessary. I have notebook with
5 > SATA drive. I generate kernel with genkernel and it generates initramfs
6 > file too. My question is if this is realy necessary and if not, what I have
7 > to do. And if it is necessary where I can find good documentation (samples,
8 > explanation, etc.).
9 >
10 > And next question is: hat is difference between ramfs and initrd ??? Is it
11 > the same thing or not ... ???
12 >
13 > Thanks a lot.
14 >
15 > Pat
16
17 you don't need initrd. You don't need initramfs. You don't need to use
18 genkernel (IMHO genkernel is evil). And you don't need ramfs.
19
20 initrd/initramfs is mostly for distributions who want to compile everything as
21 module, people with strange settings (like some kind of raid), or people too
22 stupid to build their own kernel. If you build your kernel and build
23 everything you need to boot into it, you can live without that crap.
26 Conclusions
27 In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even
28 with its numerical advantage removed, the Empire would still squash the
29 Federation like a bug. Accept it. -Michael Wong
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list