From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:38:23
1 On Wednesday 21 February 2007, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user]
3 ramfs - is it necessary ???':
4 > On Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007, pat wrote:
5 > > My question is if this is realy necessary and if
6 > > not, what I have to do. And if it is necessary where I can find good
7 > > documentation (samples, explanation, etc.).
8 >
9 > you don't need initrd. You don't need initramfs. You don't need to use
10 > genkernel (IMHO genkernel is evil). And you don't need ramfs.
11
12 That's my experience with genkernel as well.
13
14 > initrd/initramfs is mostly for distributions who want to compile
15 > everything as module, people with strange settings (like some kind of
16 > raid), or people too stupid to build their own kernel. If you build your
17 > kernel and build everything you need to boot into it, you can live
18 > without that crap.
19
20 I need it because my '/' in on an LVM device which does require some
21 userland tools to setup. initrd/ramfs really isn't "crap", but they are
22 generally unnecessary (unless you have '/' on EVMS/LVM/software-RAID) on
23 Gentoo.
26 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
27 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
28 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
29 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
30 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!