From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:30:25
1 Am Samstag, 20. Dezember 2008 20:45:27 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
3 > > Am Samstag, 20. Dezember 2008 18:44:53 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
4 > > > "cp" neither has a "-a" nor a "-x" option. Are you talking abut "gcp"?
5 > >
6 > > Sure he is. This is a Linux mailing list. We don't care which options are
7 > > missing in Solaris' version of cp ;-)
8 >
9 > I was not talking about the Solaris cp but about "cp", the way it is in the
10 > standard.
11
12 Just compared the man pages of cp of the three major Unix vendors (SunOS, HP-
13 UX, AIX). They're all different. If there is a standard, it's not implemented
14 very well accross different platforms.
15
16 > The problem with giving unspecific advise based on non-standard behavior is
17 > that people may later use the same command line on other platforms and
18 > fail......
19
20 Well, the only cp that can be installed on all of the above platforms is gcp
21 ok, granted BSD cp would be another option, but I doubt that there are
22 packages available for all those platforms), so if you want consistent
23 behaviour, install GNU cp (and its friends). That's what I do at work, where I
24 have to cope with a heterogenous environment consisting of HP-UX, Linux, SunOS
25 and Windows. Only by using the GNU variants of the Unix tools I can use our
26 self-written (shell) scripts on either platform.
27
28 So the question is: What's better, following an (eventually minimalistic)
29 standard or defining the standard yourself?
30
31 OTOH, a Linux-only user wont even care. He has gcp, that's his "standard".
32
33 Bye...
34
35 Dirk