From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:35:21
1 Hello, Lee.
2
3 On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:45:10PM +0200, lee wrote:
4 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
5
6 > > Patches are always more welcome than suggestions. "Fix it!" is never as
7 > > welcome as "here's how". I think it was Canek who said "code talks".
8
9 > Do you have an example for such a case?
10
11 Yes, many. I'm a contributor to Emacs, and relatively frequently (perhaps
12 10 - 30 times a yeaar) somebody reports a bug and simultaneously submits
13 a patch for it. This is always well received, and the patch is usually
14 applied, sometimes with a bit of to and fro and negotiation, sometimes
15 after waiting for the tedious paperwork to be completed. One of my own
16 first contributions was a request for an enhancement (to enable
17 scrolling during an incremental search) together with a rough, but
18 working patch. After some amendments, this was applied.
19
20 On the other hand, "wouldn't X be a good idea"s which reach the mailing
21 list only rarely get taken up by regular contributors - there's only so
22 much time in the day, and such hackers usually have plenty of Xs of
23 their own to fill their time with.
24
25 > My experience has disproved this claim, and I've even seen people
26 > fixing stuff multiple times after I told them it's broken and provided
27 > a perfectly working version before telling them, much better coded,
28 > which they could have used instead of insisting on their crappy code
29 > and trying to fix it several times.
30
31 That's not very friendly, and hardly inclined to gain extra contributors
32 for your project. A gentle guiding hand, helping these other people to
33 reach a satisfactory fix themselves, would work much better.
34
35 [ .... ]
36
37 > > On the contrary, it serves to illustrate that you do not grasp the
38 > > complexity of the situation.
39
40 > Perhaps you can enlighten me how it is so difficult to change a message
41 > from "slot conflict" to "slot conflict (can probably be ignored while
42 > there are other problems)" and what the complexity is which makes it
43 > impossible to do so.
44
45 It's not difficult, it's just tedious. Something like that which is
46 user facing needs to be agreed by the core of the project, and getting
47 that agreement tends to involve lots of bike shedding on the project
48 mailing lists - there's always a few people who'll prefer the message to
49 stay the same. Then there's all the stuff about writing change logs for
50 the change and commiting it. Such a tiny change is scarcely achievable
51 in less than an hour. To the core developers, it barely seems worth it.
54 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).