From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 18:57:02
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > Patches are always more welcome than suggestions. "Fix it!" is never as
4 > welcome as "here's how". I think it was Canek who said "code talks".
5
6 Do you have an example for such a case? My experience has disproved
7 this claim, and I've even seen people fixing stuff multiple times after
8 I told them it's broken and provided a perfectly working version before
9 telling them, much better coded, which they could have used instead of
10 insisting on their crappy code and trying to fix it several times.
11
12 >> and now even if you
13 >> came up with some pointer what to look at (since emerge, for example, is
14 >> a wrapper script from which I couldn't see where to start),
15 >
16 > Really? The first few lines of the script tell you where the real scripts
17 > are? The wrapper seems to be there to deal with different default
18 > Python versions.
19
20 Yes, really. I don't know python and I can see that emerge points to
21 some library directory while I can not see which script would actually
22 run other than the wrapper.
23
24 >> I wouldn't waste my time with it.
25 >
26 > Then why on Earth would you expect the devs to do it for you with that
27 > attitude?
28
29 I don't believe that they let everyone modify what they're working on,
30 so they are the only ones who /can/ fix it. Besides, show me where I said
31 something like "I want the devs to fix it".
32
33 > Adding the word "just" to a demand does not make the task any
34 > simpler, nor does it increase your chances of getting what you want.
35
36 Go ahead and show me where I have demanded something.
37
38 > On the contrary, it serves to illustrate that you do not grasp the
39 > complexity of the situation.
40
41 Perhaps you can enlighten me how it is so difficult to change a message
42 from "slot conflict" to "slot conflict (can probably be ignored while
43 there are other problems)" and what the complexity is which makes it
44 impossible to do so.
48 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
49 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.