From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:06:16
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:43:58 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> One thing I did learn, if the lights on the keyboard
6 >> are blinking, it's locked up tight.
7 >>
8 > That's a kernel panic. You can have the system reboot itself after a
9 > panic by adding kernel.panic=N to /etc/sysctl.conf, where N is the number
10 > of seconds to wait before rebooting.
15 Kewl !!! I just saw that in the file but it is commented out. Like this:
16
17 # When the kernel panics, automatically reboot in 3 seconds
18 #kernel.panic = 3
19
20 So, I uncomment this and the system will reboot in 3 seconds? Does it
21 sync and unmount or just do the same as me hitting the reset button?
22 I'm going to uncomment this either way. If it is locked up, does it
23 matter if it is it or me that resets it? lol
24
25 Is there a way to set this without rebooting?
26
27 Thanks. Why wouldn't that be a default I wonder?
28
29 Dale
30