From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:06:37
1 On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 04:19:46 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > That's a kernel panic. You can have the system reboot itself after a
4 > > panic by adding kernel.panic=N to /etc/sysctl.conf, where N is the
5 > > number of seconds to wait before rebooting.
6
7 > Kewl !!! I just saw that in the file but it is commented out. Like
8 > this:
9 >
10 > # When the kernel panics, automatically reboot in 3 seconds
11 > #kernel.panic = 3
12 >
13 > So, I uncomment this and the system will reboot in 3 seconds? Does it
14 > sync and unmount or just do the same as me hitting the reset button?
15
16 The kernel is dead, it's all it can manage to reboot with it's last gasp.
17
18 > Is there a way to set this without rebooting?
19
20 You can set it with sysctl on the command line, or add it to the file and
21 reload the config with sysctl -p
22
23 > Thanks. Why wouldn't that be a default I wonder?
24
25 Because it causes reboot loops if there's a basic error that causes a
26 panic when you boot.
27
28 You can also give it as a kernel option in GRUB, add "panic=N" to the
29 kernel options.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them.