From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:20:52
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 04:19:46 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>> That's a kernel panic. You can have the system reboot itself after a
6 >>> panic by adding kernel.panic=N to /etc/sysctl.conf, where N is the
7 >>> number of seconds to wait before rebooting.
8 >>>
9 >
10 >> Kewl !!! I just saw that in the file but it is commented out. Like
11 >> this:
12 >>
13 >> # When the kernel panics, automatically reboot in 3 seconds
14 >> #kernel.panic = 3
15 >>
16 >> So, I uncomment this and the system will reboot in 3 seconds? Does it
17 >> sync and unmount or just do the same as me hitting the reset button?
18 >>
19 > The kernel is dead, it's all it can manage to reboot with it's last gasp.
22 >> Is there a way to set this without rebooting?
23 >>
24 > You can set it with sysctl on the command line, or add it to the file and
25 > reload the config with sysctl -p
28 >> Thanks. Why wouldn't that be a default I wonder?
29 >>
30 > Because it causes reboot loops if there's a basic error that causes a
31 > panic when you boot.
32 >
33 > You can also give it as a kernel option in GRUB, add "panic=N" to the
34 > kernel options.
38 Thanks. I'm hoping not to need this feature anytime soon. ;-)
39
40 Dale
41