From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:01:55
1 On Saturday 12 January 2008, James wrote:
2 > > As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be
3 > > dropped without a loss.
4 >
5 > Well, I differ with this statement 100%. What, IMHO, needs to
6 > happened is the whole install process be changed to a minimal working
7 > kernel and basic tools. Then you fork the install in the direction as
8 > to what the system is to be used for: embedded-gentoo, firewall,
9 > bridge, managed switch, server (mail, web, dns, terminal etc etc) and
10 > last the complicated nightmare of a workstation  (kde vs gnome vs etc
11 > etc).
12
13 Excellent idea. When can we expect your first alpha-release?
14
15 When we have rough consensus and your running code, we can include your
16 project in the list of workable install methods.
19 Alan McKinnon
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
21 --
22 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list