From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:09:23
1 Am Sonntag, 13. Januar 2008 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Saturday 12 January 2008, James wrote:
3 > > > As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be
4 > > > dropped without a loss.
5 > >
6 > > Well, I differ with this statement 100%. What, IMHO, needs to
7 > > happened is the whole install process be changed to a minimal working
8 > > kernel and basic tools. Then you fork the install in the direction as
9 > > to what the system is to be used for: embedded-gentoo, firewall,
10 > > bridge, managed switch, server (mail, web, dns, terminal etc etc) and
11 > > last the complicated nightmare of a workstation  (kde vs gnome vs etc
12 > > etc).
13 >
14 > Excellent idea. When can we expect your first alpha-release?
15 >
16 > When we have rough consensus and your running code, we can include your
17 > project in the list of workable install methods.
18
19 And while where at it: Get those stage1 installs back into the Handbook. I did
20 a stage3 install 2 weeks ago and it was a nightmare. One needs to recompile
21 nearly everything afterwards, so stage3 doesn't make any difference.
22
23 Bye...
24
25 Dirk