From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 04:40:22
1 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Why do --nocolor and --color=n not work (sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.3)?
3 >
4 > Why does the damned thing default to thinking I want blaring bizarre
5 > colors scattered all over my screen?
6 >
7 > What bozo thought all those colors were legible on every frikking
8 > terminal and checking for --nocolor was unnecesary?
9 >
10 > I am so tired of this crap. Even editing /usr/bin/emerge to always
11 > set output.havecolor to 0 doesn't disable color. I have to copy and
12 > paste into an editor just to read the error messages. It has always
13 > been so; most portage commands simply aassume I want all sorts of
14 > colorized messages on my screen. Oooh, let's find a use for yellow,
15 > and green, and blue, and red, well of course red, but let's make sure
16 > we use EVERY FREAKING COLOR IN THE BOOK just because, well, BECAUSE WE
17 > CAN. Let's IGNORE the TERM environmental variable while we're at it.
18 >
19 > I CAN'T EVEN DISABLE IT BY SETTING TERM TO vt100.
20 >
21 > And if ALL THESE CAPS distress you and you think I am shouting, well
22 > goodness gracious, NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT COLORIZATION RUN AMUCK.
23 >
24 > Retch.
28 I thought I was the only one that had to copy and paste it to Kwrite to
29 read it. Sorry to say I'm not alone here. :-( He seems, well, . . .
30 pissed. :/
31
32 Dale
33
34 :-)
37 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
38
39 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list