From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] initng or runit?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:54:33
1 On Wednesday 23 August 2006 21:28, Daniel Iliev wrote:
4 > I appreciate this info about fcache. Now I have a good idea of what I
5 > have to expect.
6
7 It's the reason for this mailling list. Enjoy.
8
9 > I've got some unpartitioned space and nothing prevents me to do some
10 > tests. The only question that I have is how much space does fcache need?
13 The way it works is... you cache the files that are normally loaded up to a
14 point that you choose. We tried just the time from boot to a console and then
15 again from boot to a fully loaded KDE desktop... A rule of thumb we followed
16 would be what ever you have for ram, plus whatever you use for swap. About
17 1gig for us. The number you end up with will be overkill, but you are assured
18 of enough cache space for all your needed files.
19
20 Cheers.
21
22 > BTW, the "ck-sources", which can be found in the portage comes with
23 > several performance related patches. Emerge automatically applies these
24 > patches and fcache is among them.
25 >
26 > --
27 > Best regards,