From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] initng or runit?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:31:24
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 August 2006 18:42, Daniel Iliev wrote:
3 >
4 >> Jerry McBride wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Would some kind soul save me a bit of research time? Which of the two
7 >>> alternative init schemes are faster, initng or runit?
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>> Thank you in advance , Jerry
11 >>>
12 >> I have tried initng several months ago. It rocks. It's several times
13 >> faster then the "normal" init. The problem at the time was there were no
14 >> scripts for everything I wanted to start automatically. So one day I
15 >> figured out that writing scripts and using faster init takes me more
16 >> time then using slower init which works with almost no maintenance. This
17 >> made me go back to the normal init. I have to say that while using
18 >> initng I noticed that many scripts were added for a relatively short
19 >> time. It is possible that now there are initng scripts for most of the
20 >> services one would ever use, but you have to check it out for yourself.
21 >>
22 >> I can't say a word about "runit", because it's the first time I read
23 >> about it.
24 >>
25 >> My next experiment for speeding the boot up will be fcache, but I'm
26 >> waiting for a proper mood to try it ( it means: "I'm too lazy" )
30 > Hi Daniel,
31 >
32 > Fcache works, but we didn't see the performance boost that going to initng
33 > gave. Since it requires it's very own ext3 partition to work, plus a kernel
34 > patch... we dropped it.
35 >
36 > Using initng is the ticket... Maybe the gentoo devs will directly support it
37 > or a variant someday...
38 >
39 > Cheers, Jerry
44 Thanks, Jerry
45
46 I appreciate this info about fcache. Now I have a good idea of what I
47 have to expect.
48 I've got some unpartitioned space and nothing prevents me to do some
49 tests. The only question that I have is how much space does fcache need?
50
51 BTW, the "ck-sources", which can be found in the portage comes with
52 several performance related patches. Emerge automatically applies these
53 patches and fcache is among them.
56 Best regards,
57 Daniel
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list