From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:10:31
1 On Wednesday 23 August 2006 18:42, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Jerry McBride wrote:
3 > > Would some kind soul save me a bit of research time? Which of the two
4 > > alternative init schemes are faster, initng or runit?
7 > > Thank you in advance , Jerry
8 >
9 > I have tried initng several months ago. It rocks. It's several times
10 > faster then the "normal" init. The problem at the time was there were no
11 > scripts for everything I wanted to start automatically. So one day I
12 > figured out that writing scripts and using faster init takes me more
13 > time then using slower init which works with almost no maintenance. This
14 > made me go back to the normal init. I have to say that while using
15 > initng I noticed that many scripts were added for a relatively short
16 > time. It is possible that now there are initng scripts for most of the
17 > services one would ever use, but you have to check it out for yourself.
18 >
19 > I can't say a word about "runit", because it's the first time I read
20 > about it.
21 >
22 > My next experiment for speeding the boot up will be fcache, but I'm
23 > waiting for a proper mood to try it ( it means: "I'm too lazy" )
26 Hi Daniel,
27
28 Fcache works, but we didn't see the performance boost that going to initng
29 gave. Since it requires it's very own ext3 partition to work, plus a kernel
30 patch... we dropped it.
31
32 Using initng is the ticket... Maybe the gentoo devs will directly support it
33 or a variant someday...
34
35 Cheers, Jerry
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list