From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:46:50
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > Would some kind soul save me a bit of research time? Which of the two
3 > alternative init schemes are faster, initng or runit?
6 > Thank you in advance , Jerry
7 >
8 I have tried initng several months ago. It rocks. It's several times
9 faster then the "normal" init. The problem at the time was there were no
10 scripts for everything I wanted to start automatically. So one day I
11 figured out that writing scripts and using faster init takes me more
12 time then using slower init which works with almost no maintenance. This
13 made me go back to the normal init. I have to say that while using
14 initng I noticed that many scripts were added for a relatively short
15 time. It is possible that now there are initng scripts for most of the
16 services one would ever use, but you have to check it out for yourself.
17
18 I can't say a word about "runit", because it's the first time I read
19 about it.
20
21 My next experiment for speeding the boot up will be fcache, but I'm
22 waiting for a proper mood to try it ( it means: "I'm too lazy" )
26 Best regards,
27 Daniel
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list