From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 21:21:30
1 On Fri, 1 May 2020 15:04:12 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > I have 3 desktop machines with 32 GB of memory. In all 3 I still have
4 > swap (32 GB, I stopped using the "twice the amount of RAM" rule years
5 > ago). I don't think I have ever used one single byte from the swap; it
6 > always sits with "0 bytes used" when I check top.
7
8 % free -h
9 total used free shared buff/cache available
10 Mem: 31Gi 3.2Gi 9Gi 5.3Gi 18Gi 22Gi
11 Swap: 8.0Gi 8.0Mi 8.0Gi
12
13 Something's using a little of it here.
14
15 > So I don't think you need the swap; I keep using it in case I need to
16 > ever hibernate the machines, bit I never do. Also, it's always on the
17 > mechanical disks, so it's dirty cheap.
18
19 As you say, it's cheap and you're hardly going to noting a few GB out of
20 a multi-TB disk.
21
22 The question was about *needing* swap, to which the answer is generally
23 no. But the more important question is whether you are better off with or
24 without it, which is a much more complex problem, although I see no good
25 reason to not have it and reasonable reasons to leave it there.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 WORM: (n.) acronym for Write Once, Read Mangled. Used to describe a
32 normally-functioning computer disk of the very latest design.