From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Q: What is "python-exec2c"? Why would "python3" dispatched through it not see an installed copy of pyyaml?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 09:20:59
1 On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 18:52:50 -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:
2
3 > > > Q: Is there no way to have a consistent version of Python on
4 > > > the system?
5 > >
6 > > Yes, make sure PYTHON_TARGETS and your chosen version of python
7 > > match.
8 >
9 > Q: How do I know which verson of python is suitable?
10 >
11 > I never deal with the language... last I saw was some news that
12 > turn off the targets would be preferable. Is there some real
13 > advantage to targets vs target (i.e., at this point is it reasonable
14 > to just have a single target)?
15
16 In that case, you had no reason to use eselect to switch away from the
17 default. Switch back to 3.8 with eselect and all should be well - at
18 least after an emerge -auDN @world
19
20 > I'm still not sure, however, why a module installed with python 3.8
21 > would leave portage disfunctional if that version were selected.
22
23 That does seem odd, were any dependent modules also installed for 3.8.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Documentation: (n.) a novel sold with software, designed to entertain the
30 operator during episodes of bugs or glitches.