From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which wireless cardbus?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:23:25
1 On Monday 19 February 2007 11:43, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 18 Feb 2007, at 23:19, Mick wrote:
3 > > ... I am trying to
4 > > find out which WiFi cardbus to buy for my laptop. I didn't have
5 > > much joy
6 > > with a Belkin and would like to get a card which has a chipset that is
7 > > supported well in Linux.
8 > >
9 > > Which chipsets have the more mature drivers?
10 >
11 > You don't state which model of Belkin you tried, but I can assure you
12 > that they do a "set" (USB, cardbus, PCI) of 802.11g cards that are
13 > excellently supported by the rt2500 drivers. These are excellent, are
14 > OSS & you can get them with `emerge rt2500`.
15
16 Well, I didn't want to bore you - I think I may have already posted about my
17 troubles with it in the past. It is a Belkin USB WiFi adaptor, Model No.
18 K7SF5D7050A, which seems to have a RaLink chipset. I have had some success
19 running it with the rt2x00-9999 drivers from CVS and USE="rt2500usb" (the
20 stable rt2500 crashed my system every time). However, after Christmas the
21 rt2x00 driver has not worked and keeps giving me kernel panics every time I
22 plug it in the USB port, e.g.:
23
24 http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18890#18890
25
26 I suspect it may have something to do with the 2.6.19 kernel. All different
27 CVS builds that I have tried crashed. Tried to install pre-Christmas builds
28 from the archives, also crashed. Hence I'm fed up being without WiFi for so
29 long and thought of using an Amazon voucher I have handy to get myself a nice
30 cardbus; but this time I would like to make sure that I have something which
31 definitely works with Linux.
32
33 However, if you have any ideas to make my Belkin USB work again then I'll use
34 that voucher for something else. :)
35
36 Thank you all for your helpful advice and links.
37
38 > I recommend this card, but if you're outside the UK contact in
39 > advance regarding shipping:
40 > <http://networkned.co.uk/Belkin_Cardbus.php>
41 > FULL DISCLOSURE: I am involved with this supplier.
42
43 Having been burned once I would rather go for something which has matured
44 enough to be in the kernel, if possible, but thank you for the suggestion all
45 the same.
48 Regards,
49 Mick